Last updated: December 7th, 2016
Compasses are extremely important to carry when Hiking or Camping for navigation and to avoid you getting lost, especially if you are traveling solo. Good compasses should be lightweight and durable so they dont break when you pull them out of your backpack and should also be waterproof so you can use them in bad weather.
The main features you need to look for when buying a compass are
- Compass Weight – Depending on the use, try and buy a Compass that is around 40-80 grams
- Declination Scale – Used by the Compass to find the angle between magnetic north and true north (declination)
- Rotating Bezel – The compass bezel is used to help set a course
- Clinometer – Used to measure the elevation of a slope
- Ruler – For measuring distances on maps
The following are 10 of the Best Compasses for you to take Hiking and Camping.
Made from durable, clear, scratch resistant acrylic Includes ruler that measures in cm and inches Dimensions: 2.2 x 3.5"
Advanced engineering combined with thoughtful design ensure fast, stable and simple use. No batteries ever required. Size: One Size Fits All Suunto ...
Built to the demanding specifications of U.S. Fighting Forces It is shock, water and sand proof, and functional from -50ºF to +150ºF. Seven Tritium ...
Official US Military Tritium Lensatic Compass Box Waterproof Yes Carrying Pouch & Belt Clip
Classic bezel, lid & mirror with more knuling for easier rotation/grip 1-piece mirror with etched sighting line down the center for a precise ...
Noctilucent function, suitable for using at night Give you a right direction whenever and wherever you are Portable design, convenient to carry. High ...